The reality is you know where you are now and you know where you want to be. The gap – the work that is needed to get there – is where the coaching partnership comes into play. Consider the coaching relationship as a missing piece of a puzzle – without it you do not get the full picture – you cannot make out the full image. You cannot complete the story. And it is frustrating when you lose a bit of a puzzle right!
Everyday I talk to my clients and potential clients about what is possible. I focus on the future and the vision. I keep them committed to the outcome they desire. Provide encouragement, gently stretching what they think is possible with what could be achieved. I challenge their thinking. Previous experiences can lead you to thinking a certain way, making assumptions as to what outcome is likely. You cannot change the fact your thinking likes this superfast highway to ‘don’t go there’ but in coaching we create a temporary diversion and reroute the thinking traffic. New thinking. New pathways. New confidence!
Here is when NOT to partner with a coach
- When you are not committed to changing
- When you do not have the time to spend on actions/homework
- When you do not believe in the process
- When you cannot afford to invest the time or money
- When you do not connect with the coach!
Here is when to absolutely partner with a coach
- When you are inspired by their evidence – their client stories/testimonials
- When you know you most definitely want to change, need to change and are bursting to break the cycle
- When you are prepared to try new things, be challenged, inspired and step out of your own way
- When you can afford to invest the time to make a significant difference and money that will pay for itself in returns
- When you connect with a coach, their brand, their ‘way’
I have previously talked about the qualities of a coach – it is so important if you are going to make this change that you select the right person to support you with your goal. Ask for testimonials, evidence and ensure you are getting a return on your investment.
If you are looking to complete your ideal picture – want to change your outcome then please feel free to get in touch. I am happy to run through how coaching works and what you could achieve with the missing piece of the puzzle – me!
Sally-Anne Blanshard is the founder and Director of Nourish Coaching and helps people reinvent their careers, businesses and life through structured coaching programs. She has been featured on TV, Radio and is often quoted in newspapers and magazines.