ABC – easy as 1,2,3 right?
YAY! I made it to three years – I think I feel the same about that as a mother as well as a business owner.
Deciding to leave my job and fly solo when I had a one and three year old was a bold move but to then relocate to another City a few months after? I perhaps did not anticipate how much change I was prescribing our family!
I am proud to declare my business has reached those three-nager years. I have worked with clients all over Australia and the UK and am so grateful to everyone that has chosen to work with me to achieve their goals.
I tell my clients that running your own business is a blend of equal parts anxiety and excitement that creates motivation! It is true – and each day I am still
- faced with toddler tantrums and moments of utter joy.
- juggling the demands and constant attention.
- trying to instill good habits
When I reflect on what has made my business a success I can put it down to three things – let’s call them ABC.
- Accountability – I take absolute accountability for everything in my business. The decisions I make, the actions I take. The decision to work with (or not work with) a client. This is my responsibility and as such I take this very seriously. But I also expect this of those that work with me, both clients and suppliers. I have a fabulous panel of businesses that offer my business coaching clients expertise and I am so thrilled to have the mix right.
- Branding – I love my brand. And fortunately so do my clients. I like to be playful with my branding. I have developed a tribe of followers on social media that know me for my love of all things orange – it is an optimistic colour and oozes energy. A common theme in my testimonials is about my enthusiasm for people, their aspirations and their goals. Enthusiasm is indeed contagious. Your brand is not just a logo – it is the very essence of who you are and how you go about your business.
- Collaboration – Being in a small business can be lonely. I wanted to build a team of people to bounce ideas off, laugh with – share frustrations and even a glass of bubbles from time to time. I am thrilled with my unofficial team. They are in themselves great business owners and career climbers and I value their friendship very much.
Easy as 1, 2, 3?
- One thing I have learnt over the years is to be consistent with PR opportunities – I have had some great exposure in the media – TV, Radio, online blogs, magazines and newspapers and forget just how many publications. I am fortunate that journalists contact me as well as me continuing to bang my own drum via the power that is Sourcebottle.
- Two things that stood out for me this year was my increase in hours – with my son starting Prep I went from three to four days. I also accepted more Speaking invitations across the country. I have a terrific support network at home that enables this to happen – let’s call them the engine room! Thank you to my husband and in-laws for supporting me, my kids, my business and my aspirations.
- Three things that will continue to inspire me
– YOU. You are the very reason my business exists. You want clarity, support, structure, confidence, ideas – whatever that reason – I am here to partner you and navigate your thinking to new levels of achievement.
– LEARNING. Never stop learning – whether this is at a local level or a qualification level – open your mind to unlearn old habits. I have taken more of an interest in Neuroscience and how the brain shapes your performance – I am now certified in the i4 NeuroLeader tool and watch this space for more on this.
– HEALTH. I am grateful for the health of my loved ones as well as myself. By focusing and committing to my own health in the last year I trained and ran a half marathon –this supported me tremendously in managing a family health issue in the UK.
So what a year. What a great few years!
Equal parts anxiety and excitement and so much motivation for the year ahead. Collaboration is high on the agenda this year and I cannot wait to share a few secret projects in the pipeline.
Thanks once again for joining me on this journey; it really is good to have you around.